Summer Travel Tips for Families
Best Destinations for Families
- Florida (Disney World, Universal Studios, Destin, Fort Lauderdale)
- Caribbean & Mexico (All-inclusive resorts are great for your budget and for providing activities for both kids and adults)
- Mammoth Cave, Gatlinburg, Indianapolis to stay near home (Cincinnati).
Best Accommodations for Families
- Many All-Inclusive Resorts are now offering family packages where you can have essential items in the room before you arrive such as a stroller, crib, highchair, step stools and toys. Many do this at no additional charge. Make sure you ask your travel agent about these programs.
- For large or multi-generational families traveling together your best bet is often a villa, condo, cabin or rental house. You can all stay together but have enough space too. An added benefit is having a kitchen where you can save money on dining out and be prepared with snacks around the clock.
Tips for Family Road Trips
- Purchase some new books/games/toys that are only for the car. Get out only one or 2 of them at a time so when the kids get bored there are new items to play with
- Pack wet-wipes, garbage or plastic bags and paper towels for clean ups.
- Stop every 2 or 3 hours for a bathroom break, snack and short activity like Frisbee or catch.
Tips for Flying with Kids
- For babies - plan a feeding during take-off/landing. The swallowing motion can help reduce problems with ears popping. Older kids can chew gum during take- off and landing.
- Purchase some new books/games/toys that are only for the flight. Get out only one or 2 of them at a time so when the kids get bored there are new items to play with.
- Pack a couple snacks in your carry-on. You never know when the flight could be delayed on the tarmac.
- For diapers, wipes, etc. Pack a little more than you think you will need for traveling and purchase the rest when you arrive to your destination. You can also ship a box of supplies to your hotel to have it there when you arrive.
Airport Security Tips:
-Get there early, especially for international flights. Check with your travel agent or on your carrier’s website for suggested arrival times. You can take advantage of the children’s play area, restaurants and shopping once you have check in and gone through security.
- If you are traveling with kids use the family lane where you can all stay together for the security process.
-Wear slip on shoes, and skip the belt on your travel day.