Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Akumal Turtle Snorkeling

If you have ever read my blog before you know that I love animals. Every time I travel I seek out the local wildlife and look for excursions that will feed my soul.

On my last visit to Mexico I decided to check out a snorkeling excursion. I only book tours where animals are in their natural habitat and not in captivity. I'ts very important to me that the animals I am seeing are not exploited, but protected and truly admired. I also only book with reputable companies whom I can trust for my personal travel as well as for my clients' travel.

Jose, from Surfing on the Road Tours suggested the Akumal Turtle Excursion. It was the perfect suggestion for my mother and I who were traveling together.

Juan picked us up right on time from our hotel. It was so nice not to have to worry about getting to and from the tour location. The ride was comfortable and air conditioned and Juan was just amazing! He was very friendly and spoke English very well (and even spoke some French!) Despite my efforts my Spanish is still very much lacking so it was nice to have someone who was so fluent.



We arrived to Akumal and met with the local turtle guide, Ruben from Wild Ak Tours.  He explained how the area is now protected and only a certain number of people can visit per day. He also talked about the rules and how a  minimum impact on the ocean life and environment was important.



When we got in the water I noticed that there was another tour company with a large group of people. I was so happy that this private tour only had myself, my mom, Juan and Ruben. It made the whole experience so much better. The large group seemed to all be fighting for their turns to see the turtles and I think they probably scared some away. Having just the 4 of us in the water made this tour magical and special.

I was a little concerned that my mother (65 years old) who had never snorkeled before might have a hard time, but Ruben gave her a float and offered to pull her along when needed. It was so nice!

I was expecting to maybe see a turtle or two. I was shocked and delighted when we saw three turtles within the first 5 minutes of swimming! Not only that but we saw stingrays, and fish right in front of us and below us. The turtles were literally right below us as we swam and I could watch as they munched on sea grass and swam to the surface for a breath of air.



This was by far one of the best experiences I have ever had. I honestly think that I wouldn't have felt the same way if I was with a large group. If you are considering this tour book the private option with Surfing on the Road. It's worth every penny and you will remember this forever.









**Photos and videos are courtesy of Surfing on the Road Tours

For booking details, visit my website at www.lovelandandsea.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment